The GLL Sport Foundation is looking to constantly evolve and provide supported athletes with additional services to support their performance, this performance portal provides videos, documents, tips and information on key areas of performance to support athletes and family networks.
Sources of information are taken from verified organisations and experts within their field. We however advise athletes and family networks to carry out further research and speak to specialists in specific areas to ensure its best suits their needs.
Sports nutrition is an important aspect of training for athletes. Adequate amount of nutrients ensure effective performance.
- The 4 most important sports nutrition rules for athletes – Article: stack.com
- Role of nutrition in sport – Online Presentation: Just for Hearts
- Nutrition for distance events and marathons – Article: Crystal Palace Physio Group
- Health – how and why supplements might be used – Podcast: English Institute of Sport
- The importance of nutrition & hydration – Article and Video: England Athletics
- Nutrition for sports performance – PDF Presentation: Middlesex University
- Nutrition handout – PDF Document: Middlesex University
*Sourced from Crystal Palace Physiotherapy Group, England Athletics, English Institute of Sport, Just for Hearts, Middlesex University and Stack.com.
Jade Lally - Nutrition Advice
Strength & Conditioning*
Strength and Conditioning is the physical and psychological development of athletes for elite sport performance.
Strength and Conditioning is about more than lifting weights – it encompasses the entire development of the athlete and what is needed to improve physical performance. This includes plyometrics, speed and agility, endurance and core stability with strength training being just one piece of the jigsaw.
- Strength and Conditioning – Article and Video: England Athletics
- Specialist support – Article and Video: England Athletics
- Strength and Conditioning for youths – PDF Document: Surrey Sports Park
- 5 ways to get flexible – Article: Crystal Palace Physio Group
- Therapy @ home – Article: Crystal Palace Physio Group
- Winter sports preparation – Article: Crystal Palace Physio Group
- Better running – Article: Crystal Palace Physio Group
- Rehabilitation from injury – Podcast: English Institute of Sport
*sourced from Crystal Palace Physio Group, England Athletics, English Institute of Sport and Surrey Sports Park.
Jade Lally - Strength & Conditioning
Team GB double Olympic medallist and GLL Sport Foundation ambassador Lutalo Muhammad, “The mental side of Taekwondo is possibly more important than the physical side. I believe at the elite level, there isn’t much of a technical or physical difference between the top athletes, I believe the winner on the day is mentally the sharpest.”
- The Winning Mentality – Sport Psychology – PDF Presentation: Middlesex University
- Mental Wellbeing – Article and Video: England Athletics
- Physical Wellbeing – Article and Video: England Athletics
- The importance of mental preparation with Lutalo Muhammad (Taekwondo)
- 10 ways to prepare for competition – Article: vinco.com
*sourced from England Athletics, Middlesex University and Vinco.
Lutalo Muhammad - The importance of mental preparation
Richie Woodhall, GB Consultant Boxing Coach, “The extra sleep could be the difference between winning a gold medal or going out in the first round, it’s that important.”
- The role of sleep in sporting performance – Article: English Institute of Sport
- Performance Analysis – PDF Presentation: Middlesex University Lecture
- Anti Doping – Article: England Athletics
- Social Media guidance – Article: England Athletics
*sourced from England Athletics, English Institute of Sport and Middlesex University.