The GLL Sport Foundation is an organisation operated by Charitable Social Enterprise GLL to support talented athletes across the UK.
In 2007 GLL became aware of young talented athletes having to give up on their dreams because of the high costs of training, travel and competitions.
National research showed the annual cost of attaining high national sport rankings averaged £6,000. In many cases, talent was being lost due to financial hardship with an associated negative impact on local young people, communities and sports clubs. GLL were determined to develop a scheme to counter this problem.
The GLL Sport Foundation was born, launched in 2008 with the support of Sally Gunnell OBE who became the Foundation’s Patron.
As a leading Charitable Social Enterprise, GLL are proud to be able to make this positive impact to our communities through the Foundation.
GLL Sport Foundation Objectives
- To support young people with athletic talent to achieve their full sporting potential by reducing the financial burden of training and competition costs.
- To bridge the gap in sports inequalities and give young athletes the opportunity to reach their potential.
- To inspire local communities to participate in physical activity and aspire to achieve, using our Ambassadors.
- To seek long term sporting legacy and co-ordination with national talent development pathways.
- To be the largest independent athlete support schemes for talented young people striving for national and international sporting success.